The Best Way to Extract Audio from YouTube on Mac
When you find that awesome song, audiobook, or podcast on YouTube you want to save it to your computer. You want to have the option to listen to it on your computer, in the car, or on the go even without an internet connection. Here are some of the best ways to extract audio from YouTube on Mac. Read through the different choices and pick the right one for you.
Airy – Mac App to Extract Audio From YouTube
If your main choice for watching videos online is YouTube, then you’ll have no problem extracting the audio from videos on the platform using Airy. This tool is a great way to extract audio from YouTube videos on Mac.
- Download and open the Airy app.
- Copy the link of the video that you want to download the audio from.
- Paste this link into Airy and choose the audio format you want.
- Click on the “Download” button and wait for the download to complete, which should be less than a few minutes.
Airy is able to download a complete playlist or channel from YouTube. There are some limitations on the free version, including only being able to download it twice. This is typically enough to decide if the Airy app is something that is worth your money or not.
Elmedia Player takes a do-it-all approach to media. It is able to play just about any kind of audio and video file type. There is also a PRO version of the software on offer. This PRO version comes with a number of extra features including downloading videos from YouTube and ripping audio from YouTube videos on Mac. Other video hosting services are supported as well as YouTube, including Dailymotion, Facebook, Metacafe, Vimeo, and more. Elmedia is one of the best ways to extract audio from YouTube on Mac in a simple and effective way.
Like Elmedia, Folx comes with free and PRO versions. It does a great job as a Mac app to extract audio from YouTube. It’s not quite as simple to use as Airy, but it provides a wider spectrum of solutions for extracting audio from YouTube on Mac.
- Download and install the Folx app.You now have a flexible, powerful download manager for Mac to enjoy.
- Activate the PRO version with an activation code.
- Copy and paste the link of a YouTube video to the “Quick Add” box and click on the button next to it.
- You are shown another window where you can assign tags to downloaded videos, choose a time to download the file, choose a quality and format for the video, and choose to just extract audio.
- Click on the “Add” button to queue the task according to the chosen schedule.
Apps aren’t the only way to rip audio from YouTube on Mac. You can also use browser extensions, such as FVD Video Downloader for Google Chrome. This extension allows users to download audio and video websites from almost every website around. This includes Facebook, Veoh, Vimeo, Metacafe, Dailymotion, and Blip.
One major problem with the plugin is that it is unable to download video or audio from YouTube due to the restrictions of the Google Store. As Google own YouTube, they forbid apps and extensions on Chrome that allow YouTube downloading. If you are looking to extract audio from a video that is hosted exclusively on YouTube, then you need to use an app to rip audio from YouTube on Mac.
You can always try a free online solution that offers services to convert video files to audio formats. One example of this is http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3.
Here’s how to use this service, and others like it:
- Paste the link of the video into the appropriate field.
- Choose the preferred settings – such as changing the bitrate.
- Click on “Convert File”.
An online tool might be just what you need to get the job done.
Version 3.7.205 (18th Jan, 2019) Release notes