Download YouTube HD videos on Mac
There are a number of different video resolutions out there. You might be wondering what the difference between them is, and if it even matters. We can say that it does matter and it does make a difference. TVs and smartphones have their own different optimal resolutions and there is a reason for this. There are some important factors that affect the resolution for different devices. So before looking at the best HD YouTube downloader for Mac, let’s look at the different resolutions and what they mean.
When it comes to high definition you’re looking at 1080p, 4K and 8K. 4K refers to the horizontal resolution, which is set at 4000 pixels. 8K is said to be twice as powerful and the successor to 4K, with a horizontal resolution of 8000 pixels. 8K resolution is also sometimes known by the name Super Hi-Vision. 8K resolutions allow filmmakers to shoot their film at a distance, such as when filming wildlife. Using 8K means producers are able to digitally crop and zoom in during post production, and match what has been filmed to a smaller resolution, such as 4K, 1080p, and 720p.
You would need to sit pretty close to a large screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. While 4K has 8.3 million pixels and 1080p has 2.1 million pixels, and this feels like a big gap, not every viewer will be able to tell the difference. Take a look at our chart below to see how close you have to sit to the screen to get the most from the increase in pixels.
Looking at this chart shows us:
- If you want to get a large TV – over 50 inches – then you should buy a high resolution one or sit further back from the TV when watching movies.
- If you are getting a smaller TV, then 720p will be fine unless you are sitting close to it.
- Nearsighted people should choose 720p, while farsighted people should choose a higher resolution.
Best HD YouTube Downloader for Mac
Now you understand the difference between the resolutions and which one is best for you, you’re ready to download HD videos from YouTube on Mac. So what is the best solution to download 720p videos on Mac and above? Our personal recommendation is the Airy app. It’s the best method for those wanting to know how to download YouTube 1080p videos on Mac, and it works great with any other resolution too.
- Start by downloading the Airy app from the website. Install and launch the app.
- Open up youtube.com and copy the link of the video you want to download to your Mac.
- Paste this link into the Airy app interface.
- Pick the right resolution for the video in the dropdown menu – either 720, 1080, 2160, or 4320p
- Click on the download button and sit back as the video downloads in a matter of minutes.
Version 3.7.205 (18th Jan, 2019) Release notes